When done correctly Hay TARPS WORK, and yes, Feed Central can provide you with tarps to suit your requirements.
Thank you for your interest in Feed Central’s Ratch-e–Tarp for covering your hay stacks.
Tarp size is 48’ x 13’ that covers a stack 40’ long with 4’ end drops; and covers stack 8’ wide with 2’6” side drops. The tarp can
therefore cover 40 bales (8’x4’x3’) in one row stacked 4 bales high or 50 bales if stacked 5 bales high.
These tarps have SIDE EDGES, so make your hay stack resemble a cotton module as follows:
- Make stack sizes of approximately ONE SEMI LOAD – big tarps are too hard to keep on, and can blow in the wind causing tarp damage and leakage. Strictly ONE BALE WIDE – do not go any wider - it is too hard to keep the tarp down and creates shallow points for water to lie and soak through the tarp.
- Make stacks AS HIGH AS POSSIBLE. 8x4x3 bales should be a minimum of four high and five high if made well. The higher the stacks the less exposure, especially to bottom bales.
- Remember TARPS ARE NOT WATER PROOF, only water resistant; therefore the idea is to shed water quickly.
- Do not allow dips or hollows in the top where water can lay.
- PROTECT THE TOP - Cap tarp only. When you tarp the sides, it doesn’t allow hay to breathe, so if water does get in, it can’t get out. Leaving the sides open allows moisture to get out.
- PROTECT THE SIDES – Hay stack bales will naturally shed any water that runs down the sides so long as you create hay stacks with straight edges - no bale should be sticking out wider than the bale above as water can run off the tarp, down the sides and then back up through the stack via a ledge created by a bale sticking out (capillary action).
- PROTECT THE BOTTOM – Locate stacks on gentle slopes, irrigation channel banks, gravelly or sandy ridges where water drains away quickly and does not pond around the stacks. Make sure there is good drainage on both sides. Black plastic as a ground cover can assist in protecting bottom bales from spoilage.
- RATCHET SYSTEM ADVANTAGE – Our unique ratchet tie-down system secures the stack and the tarp better than any other system on the market.
ORDER TARPS NOW
(Order 10 or more and get free postage!)